Thursday, March 25, 2010

First Home Game, and Some Issues.

Dear Sioux Falls Storm,
This season through the Storm web forum and the team facebook page, fans have been given access to give then team their feedback. I think we're lucky to have a place to voice our opinions almost directly to the team. I think Storm fans however; have come to expect certain things during our game-day production. Much like church, or a family reunion, some of us have been standing next to, or in front of the same people for 6, 7, 8 years. If this Sunday I went to service and they did communion before the readings, I'd be really confused. This is the same church I've always gone to, the same pastor, somehow things are just different. Much the same way, I'm sure a lot of Storm fans, myself included, felt when I was looking straight at the same PA guy I’ve had for the last 7 seasons, but something was different.

The attire was business casual, and yeah I think I’m ok with that. Wearing (now outdated) jerseys and cowboy hats was cool, but perhaps it ran its course. I mean I used to wear green Sears Toughskins back in the day, but today they’d be rather inappropriate. However it wasn’t just the attire that was different. The game had a mundane, almost mellow feel. Mellow is not what any come to expect from Storm games. We’ve come to expect our PA guy to be as into the game as we are.

I hate to sound like a pompous windbag here, but there’s a saying in business that I learned a LONG time ago. The customer is always right. The Storm fan that buys season tickets, tailgates, buys merchandise, goes to Chaamps on a Tuesday night to eat simply because the coaches show it there, these are the life blood of your business. Without the fans, the teams dies, just ask Alaska, or Colorado. By asking your PA announcer to pretend he’s announcing high school football instead of OUR TEAM, well that obviously hasn’t sat too well with some of the fans. Near the end of the game, the PA was better than at the beginning, and I do hope that the new administration can balance their visions of gameday with the fans wants and needs. Now, on to MY rant

*Please Note*
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the are the authors own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of the Sioux Falls Storm or the Indoor Football League, nor do they reflect official policies of the Sioux Falls Storm or the Indoor Football League.

Bolt, the red haired cannon shooter.. You’re fired… cheesy…seriously z cavaricci cheesy

Our Owner owns the finest collection of fitness gyms in the region not owned by a multi-billion dollar organization; surely a pudgy fat Blizzard mascot goes against some of his most core wellness principles. BRING BACK SKINNY BLIZZARD

Famous Dave’s Pigskin Pass…No Pig Suits, no promo, “Where’s the Pigs?”

Now, I don’t want anyone to think I’m just Mr. Negativity here…so here’s some things I DO like

Thank you for fully clothing the Ball Beauties. I saw the black and white striped outfits, and I wasn’t impressed.

You kept the Harleys during pre-game… Good call

The on-field promos were quick and snappy, none of last year’s kicking fiasco’s

Production quality of Midco’s TV coverage was phenomenal.

Sean “Bubba” Bryant back next to Mr. Roste, good to have you around, Rich doesn’t sound the same without you.

You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out. At the end of the day, it’s not like any of us won’t be back, let’s just work on melding the vision of the new ownership with what the fans want, and have come to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment